Blogs > Millennial Traveler

New and traditional ways of exploring the globe, and your own backyard.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tours and my (purple) Northern Ireland Bridesmaid Dress


I got my bridesmaid dress in the mail this week for the Northern Ireland trip in the late summer. It’s like the photo only even more…purple (or so it seems to me). I told this to the bride and she said it sounded like I thought the purple was a bad thing. I wouldn’t say that. I guess I’m just not used to so much…purple. Not since my days of watching Barney the dinosaur anyway. But the trip is, indeed, getting closer and I really do need to buy my airfare soon – before gas prices skyrocket even more. For those who are not interested in planning these things on your own, there are tours. I’ve never really been one to take a tour. I visited most of Europe solo (well, I always met people there to see the sights with but my traveling was mainly on my own). I didn’t go to Egypt with a tour. I went with my friend Anzinga and we had a ball gallivanting around the country in taxis that were lacking the metal parts to roll up windows (the drivers hid them it seemed to make sure no one would steal them) and sleeping on overnight trains in lieu of air conditioned tour buses. But I realize this way of life is not for everyone. It can be a pain in the butt as far as planning, I will admit that. So, I was recently talking with Sandra at Albany-based Celtic Tours. Their Celtic Sojourn goes all around Ireland and they have another tour that focuses on Northern Ireland. She explained they also have dinner/show specials in Dublin where you drive yourself and have vouchers that the tour company gives you. They have a couple specials this week that are available until Friday, and in countries other than Ireland and Northern Ireland since they also go to Italy, Britain, Australia and New Zealand. I did do one tour of Turkey in my college days and I have fond memories of it. Every time I hear Madonna’s Like A Prayer, I still think of my group - mainly Aussies, Kiwis and Americans – drinking in excess bottles of raki, which is like ouzo in that it tastes like black licorice. I encourage others to make similar memories – whether it’s on a tour or not. I’m currently debating about Northern Ireland. In my “old” age, easier is becoming better…

1 Comments:

Blogger Webbeets said...

wow!really nice nice.I like white and purple colors.
http://www.irelandclassifiedsflyer.com/

April 27, 2011 at 4:47 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home