Blogs > Millennial Traveler

New and traditional ways of exploring the globe, and your own backyard.

Friday, July 20, 2012

Cheap and Free Summer Theatre

You learn about a lot of things while covering a murder trial - but I never thought local theatre would be one of them.
One of the interesting people I met at the most recent trial recommended this theatre company that I had never heard of. They do different musicals every two weeks at a venue in Chatham. And, considering tickets for a Broadway musical can be $50 and up, the ~$30 tickets at Mac-Haydn Theatre are pretty reasonable.
They're currently showing Legally Blonde (how appropriate after covering a trial). Next: Kiss Me Kate, Barry Manilow's Copacabana, State Fair, and Smokey Joe's Cafe.
Considering the theatre has been around since 1969, I'm surprised I had never heard of them. But, now we have.


Also, the Park Playhouse's Cabaret is a must-see (just saw it this week). Lawn seating is free but there are varying ticket levels for lawn chairs and even table seating with service from the lingerie-clad cast.
Being a free/low-budget theatre, you never know what to expect but everything is perfect - the cast, the set, the storyline. I don't think I'd change a thing - but I'm also 29-years-old and sans children. I guess I wouldn't recommend this as a family outing.
In fact, I saw probably the best musical/comical dance number I've ever seen in the play. You'll have to see it and guess which one. I'll give you a hint - it's about a threesome.
Cabaret, every evening at 8pm except Mondays, is running through July 29. Then their second mainstage performance will be Hairspray, Aug. 4-19, with the Kid's Park Playhouse's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat Aug. 13-19.

Finally, I also just heard about (through The Record actually) the Saratoga Shakespeare Company which is producing Twelfth Night in Congress Park nightly at 6pm, except Mondays, through July 29. Sunday shows are at 3pm. And, it's free.
I really like their motto too - Summer, Saratoga, Shakespeare: It just doesn't get any better than that.
I'm already planning a full day outing in Saratoga including seeing this play. Thinking - breakfast at the track, swimming at Victoria Pool, more track fun in the afternoon, seeing the play, then having a dough boy on Caroline Street. Perfect :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home