Blogs > Millennial Traveler

New and traditional ways of exploring the globe, and your own backyard.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Bacon Shake from Wandering Dago

I'll be honest. Unlike many people out there, I'm not the hugest fan of bacon. I usually opt for sweet over savory - but the combination found in the Wandering Dago's Bacon Shake is pretty tasty.

I heard about the shake from a co-worker who accidentally gave me the wrong establishment that made it. He said it was the Brown Bag - which wouldn't have surprised me given the unique items on their menu (ie glazed donut bun, with peanut butter, *bacon*, and a beef patty - if you haven't tried it yet, it's called a South Troy burger and it's delicious).

But, the owner over at the Brown Bag pointed me in the right direction - The Wandering Dago.

Like a good food truckie (dude, I'm not a foodie), I did my research....and harassed them on Twitter, a lot.

Originating in Schenectady, they're at the Riverview Center in Menands a decent amount and go to Troy on a quasi-regular basis for dinner hour and things like Troy Night Out, which is where I finally got to try the bacon shake.



I waited patiently in line, watching the sunset over the Hudson River. I really had a hard time deciding on which of their $5 shakes to try first - there's the Elvis (peanut butter, chocolate, banana), the Reese's (classic PB and Chocolate), and Peanut Butter and Jelly (self-explanatory).

But I wanted to try the bacon one - despite it sounding kinda weird - I had a feeling it would be good. And it was.

The first sip I tasted more vanilla than anything. Then I tasted the savory bacon mixed with the vanilla base. And it was glorious.

I later recommended that they add chocolate to it (while further harassing them on Twitter) and they agreed saying they would add it to the menu, if a good name was decided on. At a bday party that night, friends and I brainstormed - "Dirty Pig" was given (but it sounded a bit too dirty). It was eventually changed to: Muddy Pig. Which the folks at Wandering Dago said they loved.

I have since decided that my ideal birthday lunch this year will be a South Troy burger and the Muddy Pig.

And I repeat: I don't even like bacon that much.


*You can find more information about Wandering Dago here. And, if you like this, you may also like the avocado fries from Slidin' Dirty.*

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Danielle - Wandering Dago here.
So, we have some good news and some bad news....
First, the bad news. You did not get our Regular Bacon Shake.
Now, the good news.
We usually have candied bacon to top the shake. Brown sugar, a touch of maple syrup and of course our own truckmade bacon.
Next time, we have things ready for you.

June 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home