Blogs > Millennial Traveler

New and traditional ways of exploring the globe, and your own backyard.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

An Unknown Fee After a Camping Trip

If you have used Reserve America to pay for a camping site or registered for a 5K or 10K with Active.com, you may want to take a careful look at your bank account for unwanted charges from a company called Active Networks.

My bf and I stayed in the Sampson State Park along Seneca Lake in August. And the trip was great: there were wineries, breweries, and our campsite was a short walk to the lake.



But, about a month later, I am just noticing a $64.95 charge that I did not recognize. It turns out that when you use sites like ReserveAmerica to make camping reservations, you are automatically signed up for a membership with a company called Active Networks in San Diego - unless you opt out of it in your email account that you used to make your ReserveAmerica profile.

In my case - and it seems in the case for a lot of people - I missed that email and Active Networks, a company that handles online event management, charged my account. This also appears to happen with registration with Active.com for 5Ks and 10Ks (since apparently ReserveAmerica is part of Active.com).

The woman I spoke with on the phone was very nice and she seemed used to dealing with people like me - who had no clue how they were charged.

While I'm sure the business itself is quite legitimate - I'm guessing the fact that each of the sites are tied to "Active".com is not a coincidence -  their tactics of charging people pretty much without their knowledge is ridicules. I'm  surprised - after what seems to be months of complaints - that they're still allowed to do this. I'm also very lucky that the company's phone number was right on my bank statement or I probably would not have been able to contact them to reverse the charge - which should happen in 3 to 5 business days.

In case there were other folks out there who used similar sites, I wanted to make sure you all had this information too. And their number - if it's not also on your bank statement - is: 1-877-228-4881.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home