Blogs > Millennial Traveler

New and traditional ways of exploring the globe, and your own backyard.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Economic Ecosystem at Acadia National Park

Along with my Housekeeping Observations of my recent trip to Acadia National Park, I noticed a very interesting ecosystem. Sure, there was the natural/diverse ecosystems found atop Acadia Mountain or along the coast. But I also saw an economic ecosystem that was balanced with partnerships in each of the communities around the park.

You expect such partnerships in any area, whether there are tourists or not. Neighbors need to work together to bring the best out of a community. That's just how it's always been. And that seemed to especially be the case throughout Bar Harbor and the smaller towns of Ellsworth, Hulls Cove, Manset, Salisbury Cove, Town Hill, Tremont, Somesville, and Southwest Harbor - and even on a smaller level with Northeast Harbor as well, where there have been affluent summer residents for decades.

(Bar Harbor)

I think my best example of these working partnerships is when I asked about shower facilities at our campground at Seawall inside the National Park. Within walking distance of our campsite, there were restrooms, a dishwater dumping station, and a water tap but I did not see any showers. When I asked the ranger about it, he directed us to a Seawall Camping Supplies facility which I, initially, thought was also run by the National Park.

(our campsite at Seawall)

When we got there, about a half-mile down the road, it was a locally-owned store with any supplies a camper would need - and there were showers in the back that were $1 (in quarters) for 2 minutes.

I found it interesting that the National Park, instead of building their own shower system, would prefer to partner with a local business owner. I think that's a great idea and helps the local economy that much more for the area, which sees the majority of their tourists in a six week span over the summer.

(at Adelmann's in Bar Harbor - with a blueberry soft serve custard)

Along with the example of the shared showers, the Acadia Weekly newspaper had many advertisements and small descriptions of local businesses. After seeing an ad for a place with blueberry soft serve custard, we had to make the drive to go get it. And it was delicious. The weekly also encouraged visiting the area communities and especially the eateries, which we definitely did. (Blaze, by the way, in Bar Harbor has an excellent selection of craft beer and the food is great)

As I described in my last blog post, the park is so sporadically dispersed that the communities almost become as much a part of the national park as the natural sights. I have to admit, visiting these charming towns and businesses - and taking part in this economic ecosystem - was as much of an adventure or highlight as standing at the top of Cadillac Mountain.

(Jon and I at the top of Cadillac)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home