Blogs > Millennial Traveler

New and traditional ways of exploring the globe, and your own backyard.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Geocaching



I think I was first introduced to the term geocaching several years ago while watching PBS. I'll admit, I didn't quite understand the concept and it seemed kinda geeky. But, I am a bit of a dork/geek myself....which is evident from my watching PBS to begin with.



I had my first experience with geocaching this weekend with my friend Anthony, who has found more than a dozen "caches" at this point.



Basically, you go on a geocaching Website, find a cache near you (or where ever you might want to find one), enter the GPS coordinates, and find the object when you get to those coordinates. The caches vary in size from very small to medium to large. Inside there are knickknacks like buttons, plastic bugs, CDs, and any other object you can think of. Once you find the cache, you have the option to add an object and take one. The ability to find the caches also range from easy to very difficult, in that you might have to climb a mountain or only be able to reach some of them by boat. But it's also cool to think that some of these we pass everyday if they're located on a busy city street.



It's like a worldwide scavenger hunt. In fact, there are some finds where you have to go to multiple locations to eventually get to cache, just like a treasure hunt.



I helped with three of the finds on Saturday. In these instances, we went to Saratoga Springs where we found the canisters under fallen trees and one was hanging from a tree. Anthony gave me great advice for finding these caches - which was to basically look for unnatural things (like lined up sticks or rope hanging from trees) when geocaching.



The three caches I did were near Saratoga Springs' State Park, and two near the city's dog park.



I had a lot of fun and I would definitely recommend trying it.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home