Blogs > Millennial Traveler

New and traditional ways of exploring the globe, and your own backyard.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

How the other half lives

In my opinion, there is no such thing as frivilous travel. Even so, I've found that a lot of people seem to need a reason to travel sometimes. And when they don't have a reason, they end up cashing in their vacation time and staying home - which is a shame.
I have yet to have this problem. I have the complete opposite "problem."
While I love all of my friends and feel very honored to be invited to their weddings, bridal showers, bachelorette parties, baby showers, house warming parties and divorce parties (yep), any vacation time or money that I might have used for my own adventures goes toward these festivites.
My vacation time is not only booked for this year but I already know how I'll be using it next year as well.
I'm not complaining - much - but I almost wish I knew how the other half lived. Not the rich half. I'm referring to the group of people whose summers aren't booked up by late spring, and aren't in multiple weddings a year (sometimes even on the groom's side).
Reflecting on my own habits and behavior, it almost seems like I need the structure. I need to be told "Ok, you have five weddings this summer so plan accordingly." Otherwise, I'd probably squander my time away anyway on silly things like having time to make photo albums, or go for a long ADK hike like I used to before I got to "that age" where everyone was getting married, having babies, and buying houses.
I miss my freedom sometimes with these things, even though I know I can say no - I don't want to because I love my friends dearly and want them to know that by being there at these important milestones in life.
I was having a conversation with my friends who came along to Ommegang this weekend about this and how one of them had not really gone on a vacation in a while and she talked about the days she was traveling a lot due to weddings and the like. I thought she would be relieved not to be bogged down by these things anymore but it almost sounded just the opposite, that she missed going to the events and having a reason to hop on a plane and see friends, even if it was just for a weekend.
There's the cliche that you don't know what you have until it's gone. I know what I have and I truly appreciate it. I'm blessed with good friends, good health, and a starving-artist salary that somehow allows me to do what I want, with few sacrifices.
And I think I will miss these busy wedding seasons and summers.
But I also think I will enjoy that first year that I get to decide where I'm going for my summer vacation and picking that spot for no other reason than that it's a place I want to visit.

2 Comments:

Blogger Deborah said...

perfect timing on this! Yesterday I returned from a Vegas wedding. I was a bridesmaid and spent over $800 for flight & hotel (4nights/5days) not including the dress...that of course can never be worn again!
Meanwhile the bride & groom even made a dining itinerary for guests to join them if free... a whole other cost.
I opted to travel to the Hoover Dam one morning only to return to the hotel to discover the "happy couple" annoyed i skipped a lunch.
dam them- It was MY vacation too!

June 15, 2011 at 12:04 PM 
Blogger Danielle Sanzone said...

I knew you could relate with me here, Deborah ;)And that is annoying that the couple was mad at you for that - since, as you pointed out, that was your vaca too.
The way I see it, the couple can have my undivided attention for the dinner rehearsal, and whole day of the wedding. But, other than that, the rest of the time is mine.
I'm lucky in that I think my friends feel bad inviting us to places far away and so they don't ask for too much. And, overall, I really don't mind anyway.
Just looking forward to planning something in the future without these things in mind....

June 15, 2011 at 12:50 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home