Blogs > Millennial Traveler

New and traditional ways of exploring the globe, and your own backyard.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

In other news...in Greece...




Prime Minister George Papandreou offered to step down from his post if that would facilitate the formation of a national unity government with Greece's opposition political parties, according to two Greek officials familiar with the matter. (from the Wall Street Journal)
From the photos in Athens, there seems to be a lot of unrest in this ancient country where the first glimpses of Democracy and philosophy were born. Kinda ironic now, isn't it?
I loved my time in Greece in 2004 and again in 2007 but I have to admit I've seen this coming for a while. The country is in economic turmoil and political ruin. The prime minister's offer is interesting but I don't know if it will help, at least not in the short term. It might be a bit too little too late.
It seems there's been a cloud of civil unrest making it's way up the Mediterranean - in Libya, Egypt, Gaza, Turkey, and Greece.


As I've said before, I still think it's odd that the EU would grant Greece membership but not Turkey since they both obviously face high-profile problems.
There's not a lot we can do over here to help really but I think it's good to at least stay informed of these things and realize we could have it a lot worse than politicians who occasionally send sext messages.


And, on the quasi-bright side, maybe...just maybe....this will affect the Euro so it might go down a bit before my European trip in the fall. Maybe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home